A Fragile Pause in the Wildfire Crisis Sweeping Portugal and Spain

A Fragile Pause in the Wildfire Crisis Sweeping Portugal and Spain

A Fragile Pause in the Wildfire Crisis Sweeping Portugal and Spain

Right now, both Portugal and Spain are catching a much-needed breath as they deal with a series of intense wildfires that have been raging for days. It’s not over yet, but the situation has improved—at least for now.

In northern Portugal, around the Arouca region, over 4,600 hectares of forest and vegetation have already been scorched by a fire that’s been active since Monday. Imagine a stretch of land nearly 50 kilometers around, left in ruins—blackened trees, burned houses, and ashes still smoldering across the landscape. A regional civil protection official said that this morning, the situation had become much more controlled, with only one active fire line remaining near the town of Cinfaes. They’re hoping to get that under control within hours.

Even so, around 600 firefighters are still working tirelessly in the area, especially after four nearby villages had to be evacuated overnight. Locals like 80-year-old Manuel Jorge have described the fear and helplessness that spread just as fast as the flames. “It’s forested here, which is both a blessing and a curse,” he said. No one’s sure how the fire started—but once it did, it spread fast. “Once you let the fire take ground, everything burns.”

Also Read:

Farther north in Portugal, a fire that began Saturday in Ponte da Barca, close to the protected Peneda-Gerês National Park, is still going. Four active fire fronts are being fought there by over 400 firefighters.

Meanwhile, across the border in Spain, firefighters are still working to contain fires in Avila and in the Extremadura region. In Avila, the flames that had been burning since Monday have now been stabilized, thanks to efforts by 140 firefighters. However, a precautionary lockdown remains in place for Mombeltrán’s 900 residents, with thick smoke still hanging over the village.

In Caminomorisco, in western Spain, the fire is now said to be 70% under control. Most people who had to leave their homes have been allowed back—except in two villages where safety remains a concern.

Elsewhere in Spain, residents in five towns in Galicia were asked to stay indoors due to another fire Wednesday night. That alert was lifted Thursday morning.

All of this is part of a troubling trend. Experts point to climate change as a key factor, with repeated heatwaves and droughts making the Iberian Peninsula more vulnerable to wildfires. Even though things have calmed down for now, the risk is far from gone. The land is dry, the heat is intense, and the summer isn’t over yet. So while this moment offers some relief, it’s also a reminder of just how fragile the situation really is.

Read More:

Post a Comment

0 Comments